Last updated on January 13th, 2024 at 01:04 am
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I might earn a small commission if you click on the link to make a purchase but it doesn’t cost you anything. Thanks for your support!
What happens when a girl who has everything comes into a world where she has nothing?
That’s exactly what happens in the Chinese drama, Derailment.
Without further ado, let’s get started on the Derailment drama review!
A wealthy second-generation girl named Jiang Xiao Yuan enters a parallel universe where she has the exact same name and face but from an opposite background. In a world where she has no money and no clue how to get back, she meets Qi Lian who mistakenly thinks she’s the other Jiang Xiao Yuan. How can she find her way back home?
Derailment Main Characters
Jiang Xiao Yuan
She is an arrogant rich girl who has the world at her fingertips. On the outside, her life is envious but the truth is, her dad is too busy to care for her, her boyfriend cheated on her, her best friend backstabbed her, and she knows people are only friends with her because of her family’s money and influence.
It is difficult for her to accept help from Qi Lian and adapt to her new world. She went from being at the top of the world to having nothing in this new parallel world. She faces a life completely different from what she is used to and is forced to meet her new reality.
Qi Lian is trying to find his missing best friend, Xu Jing Yang, and Jiang Xiao Yuan. Both disappeared without a trace and he has no means of contacting them.
When Qi Lian finally finds Jiang Xiao Yun, he is persistent in helping her and getting the answer to why she left without telling anyone. Little did he know that this Jiang Xiao Yuan wasn’t the same girl as the one he knew growing up. She’s a person that came from an alternative universe so they’re two completely different people.
The Romance in Derailment
The romance between the two leads is a slow-burn love story. Both of them had issues to deal with and love was not a priority in their life when they met.
Through all the twists and turns in their life, they learned to rely on each other and eventually develop mutual romantic feelings.
You can clearly feel his sincerity and devotion to her but it’s only later that she returns his affection. They get together in the last few episodes of the drama so there are not a lot of sweet and romantic moments.
If you like romance dramas, skip this show. The chemistry between the two of them reminded me of Bai Lu and Dylan Wang in Only for Love. You will be disappointed.
Derailment Drama Review – What I Liked
1) The plot is unique. Towards the end, the storyline does get a bit predictable but has a solid first impression. In that aspect, it reminded me of My Journey to You.
2) You can tell there’s a lot of detail, money, and effort spent on the drama’s production. They didn’t skimp out at all, especially for a modern drama. It’s a bit surprising since this drama doesn’t have top Chinese actors in the show.
3) Jiang Xiao Yun’s relationship with her grandma was heartwarming. Her grandma is her only family member left so there’s a lot of affection there. The relationship between the two of them was touching and felt real.
4) Huo Bo Yu’s performance in Derailment was phenomenal. He is Jiang Xiao Yun’s ex-boyfriend who cheated on her with her best friend, Feng Rui Xue. Although he didn’t appear in many scenes in Derailment, he made a significant impact as an actor and character on the show. I wish he had more scenes to showcase his acting ability.
Derailment Drama Review – What Could Have Been Better
1) There was a lot of focus on Jiang Xiao Yuan working at the hair salon and trying to break through into the makeup industry. Although this subplot did make some contributions to her character development, the writers spent far too much time on this storyline.
2) The lead characters aren’t likable. Jiang Xiao Yun was put in an impossible situation so it’s understandable that she will struggle with her new environment. As time passed, she was still stubborn, difficult, and bratty.
Then there’s Qi Lian. There are moments when he is sweet to her but his character isn’t suited for the swoony male lead character. The male lead’s character development could have been better. In Derailment, there is no pull towards Qi Lian. Liu Hao Cun who played Jiang Xiao Yun stood out more.
3) The elements of the story are original but the flow as a whole was bad. Maybe if the show reduced 5 episodes and cut out some subplots, it would have had a better reception from the audience. 30 episodes were not needed but then again, many Chinese dramas end up being too draggy.
4) Derailment has romance, sci-fi, intrigue, mystery, and thriller. The show fits into multiple categories but since the show was marketed as a romance drama, Derailment should have had more romance scenes. The lead couple didn’t get together until the very last few episodes leaving the audience empty for more sweet moments.
Derailment Main Actors
Liu Hao Cun
Liu Hao Cun is a relatively new actress since she debuted in 2020. She’s a Zhou Yimou girl.
For those who don’t know, Zhou Yi Mou is a Chinese film director, writer, and producer. He handpicks female actresses that are relatively unknown and turns them into superstars. He has done wonders for Chinese actresses like Zhang Zi Yi and Gong Li. They went from being unknown actresses to now the top actresses of their field.
Hao Cun should have a bright future ahead of her but there is a negative public perception of her due to her parents’ actions. Although the public can be critical of public figures, they are not often unreasonable. Her family is probably a block to her success because she’s got the cute girl next door face with incredible acting skills.
In the past, Liu Hao Cun mostly did movies. Since I watch mostly Chinese dramas, it was my first time seeing her act and she was unbelievable. So that’s why she’s constantly praised for her skills.
Playing the character Jiang Xiao Yuan means there are some heavy emotional scenes. You can’t just slot in any actress. Well, you can but there will be a lot of pushback on the actress’s acting skills. Sorry to point her out but can you imagine Yang Chao Yue playing Jiang Xiao Yuan? The audience would absolutely slaughter her online.
Lin Yi’s most famous role is Put Your Head on My Shoulder. He gained some traction after the drama aired but his popularity slowly declined as he didn’t have other projects to follow up.
In that sense, he is similar to Ding Yu Xi. Yu Xi starred in The Romance of Tiger and Rose but hasn’t picked up a drama with that type of popularity since then.
Lin Yi doesn’t have that magic pull that other male actors have. Yes, he’s tall but he’s not particularly charming, good at acting, or good-looking. With fierce competition in the industry, it’s not surprising that he’s not a more popular male actor.
For many of my past Chinese drama reviews, even though I might be new to an actor, I usually have positive words and am on my way to becoming a fan. Lin Yi as Qi Lian falls flat. Derailment is definitely not the drama for me to be converted to be his fan. His performance wasn’t wow-worthy but before I sound like a negative Nancy over here, it’s not terrible either.
Final Thoughts – Derailment Drama Review
If you like a parallel universe with a plot twist storyline, this might be a drama you want to check out.
Another reason to watch this drama is because you want to see fresh faces. Liu Hao Cun and Lin Yi have representative works but they are not as popular as actors Xiao Zhan and Zhao Lu Si. Sometimes, you want to see new faces on screen but still be familiar enough with an actor’s name.
Derailment is a drama that will catch people’s attention with the plotline but it didn’t live up to the hype. There are a few pros about this show but it takes more than good acting from the female lead for a drama to succeed.
It’s not the worst drama but won’t be on your all-time favourite Chinese drama list. Give Derailment a shot if you have free time.
Now to You – Derailment Drama Review
Download this FREE checklist to see which Chinese dramas you have to watch!